How It Happened
PC used a five-run 10th inning to claim the victory, after scoring four runs through the first nine inning of the contest. After a strikeout and a popout, Cletis Avery drew a walk and then stole second to put the potential go-ahead run in scoring position. AJ Priaulx was then hit by a pitch to put two on. Colton Chapman put the Blue Hose in front with a two-run triple to left center to score both runners and make it a 6-4 PC lead.
The Blue Hose weren’t done yet, though, as TJ Richardson followed with an RBI single to left to plate Chapman push the advantage to 7-4. Nick Guimbarda and Andrew Bladt drew back-to-back walks to load the bases for Brett Auckland, who singled to right two score two more and make it a 9-4 ballgame. Winthrop tacked on a run in the bottom half, as Brandon Fite hit a solo home run to make it a 9-5 game, but two straight groundouts ended the inning and the game.
Winthrop got on the board first with its first run of the series, coming in the second. Hunter Lipscomb started things with a one-out single, before moving to second on a wild pitch. After a strikeout, Grant English singled to right to score Lipscomb and make give Winthrop a 1-0 lead.
Presbyterian evened the score in the fifth. Guimbarda hit his second home run of the season, a solo shot, to tie the game at 1-1.
The Blue Hose took their first lead of the game with two runs in the sixth. Glen Casaceli lead off the inning with a walk, before a fielder’s choice put him out but allowed Tyler Weyenberg to reach with one out. Avery then singled to center to put two on with one out. Priaulx then doubled to left center to clear the bases and give PC a 3-1 lead.
Winthrop countered with two runs in the bottom half of the sixth. Mitch Spires reached on a hit-by-pitch with two outs, before Lipscomb homered to right to make it a 3-3 game.
PC answered in its next at-bat with a run in the top of the seventh. Connor Slagill singled to short with one out and moved to second on an error by the shortstop, before later moving to third on a balk. Brett Auckland wasted no time driving him in with a single up the middle to put the Blue Hose back in front, 4-3.
Pitchers of Record
Ryan Hedrick (2-2) earned the win in relief, allowing two runs, both coming on solo home runs, on four hits in 3.0 innings out of the bullpen with a strikeout and no walks.
Winthrop reliever Riley Arnone suffered the loss, allowing two runs on two hits with a walk and a strikeout in 3.0 innings of relief work.
Player of the Game
Colton Chapman came off the bench to collect two base hits but none bigger than the go-ahead two-RBI triple in the 10th inning to give PC the lead. The righty finished 2-for-2 with the triple, a run and two RBIs after pinch hitting in the eighth.
- Brett Auckland continued his good work at the plate, going 2-for-5 with a game-high three RBIs to lead the Blue Hose. AJ Priaulx also recorded a multi-RBI game, as he went 1-for-4 with a double, a run and two RBIs in the win.
- Cletis Avery was 1-for-4 with a pair of runs scored and a stolen base, his team-high 15th of the season.
- Connor Slagill recorded his fourth multi-hit game of the season, going 2-for-4 with a run scored.
- Tanner Chock turned in another solid outing, allowing three runs on six hits in 7.0 innings pitched with four strikeouts against just two walks.
- PC has now won its last two series against the Eagles with five straight wins. The Blue Hose will go for a second straight sweep of WU on Sunday.
PC goes for the sweep on Sunday in the series finale at 2 p.m. at the Winthrop Ballpark.