The three teams rotated offense and defense in a structured format with different scenarios throughout the day.
For Clinton, it was a chance to see how they matchup against two other teams, including a team (Emerald) that will be a region mate starting next year. The Red Devils will hit the field again on Tuesday for a scrimmage at Belton-Honea Path at 10am.
Here are some observations from the 3-team scrimmage on Saturday:
1. Konner Richardson and Cam Nichols rotated at quarterback for the Red Devils. Richardson got the start but both signal callers got equal reps under center.
2. Running backs Mark Wise and Kris Holmes picked up right where they left off in 2016. Both backs ran the ball hard, darting through holes opened by the Clinton o-line. Wise and Holmes also did a nice job of catching passes out of the backfield and turning upfield for positive yardage.
3. Speaking of the Clinton offensive line, the group had a solid showing on Saturday. Considered a young group a year ago, a year of work and maturity showed with gaping holes for the backs to run through.
4. The Red Devils defense forced a turnover on their first possession on a tip play and interception.
5. Wise ran for a 23-yard touchdown run on the Red Devils first offensive possession against Emerald. He added a 5-yard touchdown run later in the scrimmage.
6. Holmes answered with a 23-yard touchdown run of his own in the second series against Midland Valley.
7. Emerald threw two touchdown passes on jump balls in the corner of the endzone that were well covered by the Clinton defensive backs.