Racing Report: After further review, Teal wins Monster Mini main event at LCS

Aug 14 Written by  STAFF REPORTS

The Monster Mini Division saw its 12-lap main event go down to the final lap – and beyond – Saturday night at Laurens County Speedway. And, in the end, it was the driver who was taken out on the final lap who ended up rising to first place after all.

Larry Teal took home the main event victory, with Phillip Wilson finishing second, Brandon Patterson taking third, Jasper Brown fourth and Bradley Lambert finishing fifth.

The race came down to the final three laps when Teal, on a restart, held the lead over Dusty Eaves and Wilson. Eaves managed to hold onto second place and was right on the bumper of Teal, in hopes of finding a passing lane, when the white flag flew. As the cars went into the first two turns, though, Eaves made intentional contact with Teal’s vehicle, spinning him out. Teal charged past and appeared to have the victory in hand, with Wilson following suit, until track officials reviewed the finish of the race and ruled Teal, having been intentionally spun, would be returned to the spot he was in preceding the accident as he was not at fault.

Teal, as a result, was awarded the victory.

The finish was the perfect way to cap off what had been a caution-filled main event as the caution flag came out six times. One of the most frightening moments came on the sixth lap when Rod Tucker, who was leading the race at the time, had fire shoot out from under his car on the frontstretch. His night was done, but the fire went out as quickly as it appeared.

Thunder Bombers: Dylan Chappell turned back Casey Lawson and Dan Lawson to pick up the victory in the main event, another stop-and-start race that saw six caution flags.

The worst caution came on the third attempted start to the race when Justin McJunkin veered right in turn 4 and hit the wall, turning the car on its side. Daniel Overstreet, Don Hiott and David Stone were all impacted by the caution, and all had their hopes of winning the main event dashed.

Stone stayed on the track, but faced more trouble when his hood sprang upward and blocked his view of the track, making driving essentially impossible. He got that fixed, but an oil problem finally forced him out of the race on the second lap.

Casey Lawson managed to hold the lead through the numerous cautions, but as the race went on Chappell finally made his way up to and past Lawson’s car near the halfway mark of the main event. After he made the pass, Chappell was finally able to establish a safe lead and eventually pulled away.

FWD: Mason Mack rallied from a caution that sent him to the pits on the fifth lap of the race to take home the victory in the main event. Michael Crouch was second and Jeremy Case took third.

The race got off to a tough start as there was a minor accident before the green flag flew. Once it did fly, though, Crouch established himself as the leader of the main event. After a caution on the second lap, though, Mack grabbed the lead from Crouch before Crouch passed back as Mack started to have issues with his car that, itself, brought out the yellow flag. Mack went to the pits and had a flat tire repaired, then got back out in time for the restart.

Mack charged on the fifth-lap restart to get to second, but that was wiped out by a caution that took place before the lap was finished. Once he went back to fourth, Mack quickly got to third and later got back into second. On a restart with five laps to go Mack put together a final push to get by Crouch for the lead, one he would not give up despite a late rally by Crouch in the final laps.

Limited: Billy Rushton found his way back to Victory Lane by taking the main event. Jay Sessoms was second and Mike Kernells took third.

Rushton and Sessoms started the race on the front row and Rushton quickly used his position on the pole to jump out to the lead. Frank Coates, who did not finish the heat and started fifth, was able to get by Kernells for fourth and later got past Jimmy Taylor for third place. By the halfway mark it appeared the race’s outcome was decided, but that all changed when Coates finally had to retire with four laps to go.

When the race did resume following the final caution flag, Rushton again used a strong start to get past Sessoms to win going away.

604 Crate: Goose Calvert moved off the pole due to the post-qualifying inversion draw, but it didn’t stop him from ending up on top of the field by winning the main event. Brad Rachels was second and Ray Storay was third.

Calvert won the qualifying round with a time of 15.501 seconds, edging out Rachels by .121 seconds. After the inversion put Calvert on the outside of Row 1, he used a strong start to get by Rachels and take over the top spot again. Calvert’s lead grew to more than a second in the first three laps and he appeared to have the race in hand until a caution with nine laps to go brought the field back together.

Calvert, though, held off Rachels in the first couple of laps after the caution and re-established his steady lead, helping him pull away.

602 Crate: Another race, another 1-2 finish for the Pattersons.

Division point-leader Chris Patterson took home first place for the second straight week, while Mart Patterson took home second. Lucas Motte finished third.

Chris Patterson had the lead on the start, but the first attempt was negated when Butch Riddle couldn’t avoid a spinning Brad Abercrombie, and Riddle ended up driving over the front of Abercrombie’s car. Riddle finished sixth in the final standings.

Chris Patterson held onto the lead again on the restart, with Mart able to hold second and look for a way to get to first, but his car slid to a stop in turn 1 on the second lap, forcing a stop to the race again. Mart Patterson was eventually able to get back into second following the final restart of the night, but nobody could catch up to Chris Patterson as he won by 4.325 seconds.

Last modified on Tuesday, 15 August 2017 14:34