Racing Report: Santa Showdown at Laurens County Speedway

Dec 04 Written by  STAFF REPORTS

Dustin Morris found a nice beautiful present in his racing stocking Saturday night in the Santa Showdown at Laurens County Speedway – two checkered flags – as Morris won both the Monster Minis/Super Stock 4 and 604 Crate main events.

The Santa Showdown, a two-day event at LCS, featured drivers in six divisions taking part in bonus racing for the area fans, and the races proved to be a treat for those in attendance.

Morris started his night in the Monster Minis Division, grabbing the pole position for the main event by winning the first heat race. Morris jumped to the lead at the start and held on through three caution flags, and was able to eventually pull away as he built a lead over Stacy Brock of nearly four seconds.

Brock finished second in the main event, behind Morris, while Bradley Lambert was third, Phillip Wilson was fourth and Scott Nelson was fifth.

Morris then followed up his victory later in the night when he took home the top spot in the 604 Crate Division. Morris started the race on the pole after also winning the first heat of the night, holding off Rambo Franklin after he started the race on the inside of Row 1. Colby Cannon moved to third place, with Larry Timms and Dale Timms following at the start of the 35-lap main event.

The drivers held steady in their positions throughout the race, with Franklin testing the waters to see if he could make a pass near the halfway mark of the race to no avail. From there Morris was able to cruise through the remaining laps and took home the $3,000 top prize.

602 Crate: Billy Rushton was on top of the division again during the main event, knocking off Chris Patterson and Steve Bowie, who took home second and third, respectively.

Rushton jumped out to a 1.288-second lead after the first two laps had been completed and was never seriously challenged. He did have to fight off a brief challenge after a caution flag brought the field back together on lap 15 of the 25-lap main event. But even that proved to be a brief challenge after Rushton again pulled away on the restart, winning by 3.087 seconds.

Thunder Bombers: Dusty Eaves took home the top spot in the main event. Scott “Porkchop” Pulley was second and Dan Lawson was third.

The race was a stop-and-start affair with eight caution flags flying in the 20-lap main event. Eaves led from the start of the main event and appeared ready to put the contest away toward the end of the event, but a caution flag came out just seconds before the white flag would have come out. Eaves and Pulley were set up for a green-white-checkered flag finish, and when the race resumed Pulley looked inside briefly to see if he could find a path by for the lead, but the hopes fizzled out and led Eaves to take home the top spot.

Enduro: Big Danny Hurley took the top spot in the 50-lap main event. James Woodard was second and Robbie Hartman was third.

The endurance race lived up to its name as only the top three cars made it to the finish. Hurley took the lead on the first lap, getting past Woodard, while Shane Roberts later had a flat tire after opening second and had to retire.

The only real question as the race went on was whether Hurley would be able to lap the entire field. He managed to put that question to bed when he lapped Woodard on the 15th lap. Woodard did try to get the lap back, but could not find his way by.

Hartman finished third after not starting the race, entering on lap 13, but also eventually earned back one of the laps on Hurley.

FWD: In Friday night’s lone main event, Travis Jamieson took home the checkered flag in the Front-Wheel Drive Division. Mason Mack was second and Clay Crowder was third in the 15-lap race.

Jamieson won the race by 7.724 seconds over Mack, and set a best time of 19.928 seconds on the race’s sixth lap.

Last modified on Monday, 04 December 2017 22:40